Leap Year Leap Year Earth

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Castiel - Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

Castiel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

When does the next leap year begin and how do they exactly work? I remember learning about this when I was younger but completely forgot. I know it has something to do with the Earth's rotation and a year missing a day.  

#2 Offline cocogirl - Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

cocogirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

The next leap year will be in 2016. The Leap Day is Feburary 29th and will be on a Monday.

Here's how leap years work and why we have them:

A leap year happens approximately every 4 years. The reason why there is a leap year is due to the Earth's rotation and our calendar system. Our calendar is called the Gregorian calendar and is has 365 days. The problem is that it doesn't take the Earth exactly 365 days to rotate around the Sun. It takes the earth 365 days plus 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds.

At first glance, those few extra hours don't seem like much but it means that every year, we lose almost 6 hours. Througout the years, these extra missing hours would add up to days.

Also, not every year can be a leap year. In order for a year to be considered a leap year, it must meet 3 seperate requirements;

1. It must be divisible evenly by the number 4 (for example, 2013/4 = 503.25 is not even because of .25. However, 2016/4 = 504 is even).
  2. It cannot be evenly divided by 100...
  3. ...Unless it can also be divided by the number 400

So for example; the year 2000 can be evenly divided by the number 100 but since it can also be evenly divided by the number 400 it's a leap year.

Hope this clears it up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users